Your First Mobile Phone






It's confession time. I know you are now an Android spotting, Iphone carrying, Blackberry owner. But I'm curious. What was your first phone? How much did it cost you?  and just out of curiosity again, What kind of phone would that amount of money get you now?

To think there was actually a time when everyone relied on the analogue Nitel phones to communicate. Those were the original “Telephones” (I say that with an igbo accent) with only one ringtone option “Grin Grin”.  Even your next door neighbour would know you had a phone call. There was no option for checking missed calls. If you missed a call, that was it. If someone lied that they called you, there was no way you could confirm.  

While some people possessed and others shared Telephones between houses, the rich ones at the time owned a Thuraya...that heavy thing that cost so much and was claimed to have the ability to receive and make calls from anywhere; Even the moon. 
 Before the Thuraya, multinational companies had given out mobile communicators to their members of staff, but even that was only a two way communicator, one person had to speak and release before the other person could speak.

So in 2001, when the GSM came, it was like Nigeria had finally seen the Promised Land. O My, the reigning fad…The Motorola talk-about was the cheapest phone at the time and even that cost N20k, Choi. But they ripped us off sha. I can’t believe people paid 20k at the time for a long phone with green backlight only useful for making and receiving calls and sending text messages. It did not even have a radio and did I forget to mention how heavy it was.

Anyway, don’t let me say too much.  I have taken my time to extract some of those phones which we thought made us hot boys and girls at the time…LOL, don’t even let me get started on the ringtones. Just humbly identify your phone and share…

But still, I'm curious, What was your first phone? :)


















Comments

  1. Because of the cost some of us could only stir at our parents using the phone... If they caught you holding the phone....

    ReplyDelete
  2. My First Phone was a Sendo, It came free with the Buy one get on free mtn promo (covers face) Laughs on the ringtone matter. Thank God for advancement is all I can say

    ReplyDelete
  3. My attention has just been drawn to the missing Trium and Alcatel phones...Lol, How could I forget Alacatel with its orange light and Trium with its funky ringtones and games. Please hit me up, If I left out another 'famous' phone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to say that I don't see Trium anywhere! That was ny first phone! Then a Siemens then an Ericsson phone i had to hold with a rubber band!!! Chai! We have come a long way. Lol.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dear DSTV,

Food-Xperiments

Med-View Airline and its Foreign Cabin Crew!