NOSTALGIA

I love this post...it just takes me down memory lane, every time I read it. 
https://www.facebook.com/notes/gbemmy-adekola/nostalgia/381947046451

Reposted From April 20, 2010.

I was at the Federal High Court today even though it was only to take a bow to my name and take notes. It was my first time there after attachment and I could not help but go down memory lane. There were law school students on attachment and my face broke into a smile even as I heard the lawyers say the same things they said last year, “where do these students want us to sit when they’ve taken over the court” I almost asked aloud if they were in practice last year or if they had just been called to bar I’d have thought by now that they’d be used to the fact that students are on attachment for three weeks in April.
I remember how that we’d stand around the corridor waiting for available space so we could go in and sit, while in the meantime we would talk about things I cannot even remember right now. Ayo Oshin and Tunrayo’s court didn’t sit today, neither did Seun Balogun’s court neither did my court. I thought about how status changes and how that the judge in Seun’s court is the new Chief Judge of the Federal High Court. I was at the canteen and even though I was with my colleagues I couldn’t help but remember sitting there with Ayo Oshin and Tunrayo and listen to Ayo Oshin say his name a million times in one day “ I’m Ayo Oshin”.


The matter today was in Justice Liman’s court, Ayo, Tunrayo and I once sat there to witness proceedings. (P.S Justice Liman is that guy who swivels in his chair and doesn’t write because there’s a recorder) I sat there unrobed for a while because I had to be kind to a fellow colleague from another firm and at that point it hit me. I was sitting there with no wig and gown and probably looking like any of the law school students but I couldn’t help but acknowledge that last year I sat in the same court as a student of the Nigerian Law School, This year I sit, We all sit or are at least eligible to sit as Barristers and Solicitors of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.




 In the Nostalgic spirit I could not help but acknowledge the difference once the matter was over. The difference now is that after court, we’re not looking for Bimbo Atitebi, we’re not hitching rides to Lagos campus neither are we running copies of other people’s log books. Instead we have to head back to our offices like the serious people that we’d rather not be and continue the day’s work.



I miss that phase of my life.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food-Xperiments

Dear DSTV,

Med-View Airline and its Foreign Cabin Crew!