GTB's Annoying Customer Service



Why haven’t you posted anything in a while? Someone asked me. 'I guess I’ve been distracted' I said then on second thought I added that nothing had gotten me worked up in a while. Well today I got worked up. The Customer Service Officers (CSOs) at GTB got me really worked up.

Now that I think about it, every time I have to make a trip to a particular branch of GTB in the FCT, I leave frustrated. 

The card attached to my account expired in April this year. Prior to its expiration (about two weeks or thereabout) I went to the branch to request another card, after being unable to request same through any on-line platform. I was informed that I had to wait for a debit alert before coming to the bank to request the card, it sounded like a dumb directive but I assumed the CSO knew what she was talking about. After about a month of waiting for a debit alert which I never got, I decided to call GTCONNECT and was informed no card had been requested and I was to go to a branch to apply. So it was confirmed that the CSO's directive was not only dumb but it wasted a month of my time.

(image courtesy: www.budd.uk.com)
I went to the same branch and filled out a card request form. The CSO obviously double checked my account and said it would be ready in 7 business days. About 3 days later I get a call saying I need to open another account as no card could be issued on my existing GTCrea8 Account. I'm still unclear as to why and why a simple upgrade cannot be applied. I get another call stating the requirements for the additional account as a copy of my utility bill and a means of identification. 

Again, I thought this was absurd seeing as I was an existing account holder with three accounts tied to my verified identity.

I get to the bank today and after standing on queue with the copy of my utility bill which bears the same address as my other accounts with the bank, an original copy of which had been used during the bank wide customer verification, I was informed that an original had to be sighted. That would not be a problem if I had been informed of the need to come with an original or if I lived next door to the bank.

I've had to go 3 months now without an ATM card (1) because according to a CSO the GTcrea8 Account is being phased out, a story which I don't believe, seeing as the account is still being advertised with promises of prizes (ii) because a CSO does not have verifiable information readily available and can only give safe answers. (Who on earth says wait for a debit alert before coming to the bank), (iii) because someone just didn't think it necessary to say come with the original utility bill and your means of identification.

I've about had it with GTB's claim to digitalized fame and the inability of its CSOs to mirror this status and I'm very ready to move on to another bank. I'm no billionaire so my funds won’t be missed.

While still seething, I'm thinking, does it really make any sense to require my original documents again when I have three different types of accounts with the bank? I am not a new customer, I really do not need a new account, but GTB has refused to issue me a new card except I open a new account.

The people at the other end of GTConnect seem to be more helpful than walking into a GT Branch. and while I'm on GTB, why on earth can I not request a new ATM card through my internet banking, Why can't I fill an additional account opening form on the famous digitized GTB's website. Why can’t they just think outside the box and really lay claim to their digitalized fame. 


I've been a happy GTB customer until today and it will only take me one day to decide to migrate. I choose not to be frustrated by somebody's inability to be proactive!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food-Xperiments

Dear DSTV,

Med-View Airline and its Foreign Cabin Crew!